I never really loved broccoli cheddar soup until I found this recipe. I like puree only about half of the soup and leave the vegetables chunky in the other half. The roasted florets add a delicious flavor and texture to the soup.
Chunky Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This comforting soup features broccoli, farmstead cheddar, carrots, and onions blended into a creamy broth, and topped with roasted broccoli florets.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 lb broccoli
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 lb carrot peeled and diced
- 2 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup half & half cream, or whole milk
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (Recommend: Better Than Bullion)
- 8 oz cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Cut the broccoli crowns into small florets. Cut the tender stems into chunks, then set aside. In a bowl, toss the florets with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and spread out on a baking sheet. Slide the sheet into the oven and roast until the broccoli is browned around the edges, about 12-15 minutes. Set aside half of the roasted broccoli.2 lb broccoli, salt + pepper to taste, 1 tbsp olive oil
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.4 tbsp butter, 1 onion, 1/2 lb carrot, 2 garlic clove
- Add the white wine and reduce.1/4 cup white wine
- Stir in the flour and cook until golden brown, then gradually whisk in the half & half until smooth.1/4 cup flour
- Add the chicken or vegetable broth, season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.1 cup half & half, 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (Recommend: Better Than Bullion)
- Add the broccoli stems to the pot and simmer until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup using a standard or immersion blender to your desired texture. (Tip: leave chunkier for a more rustic soup or puree for a creamier soup). Return the soup to the stove and whisk in the cheese until melted. Continue cooking until cheese is fully incorporated and soup is heated through.8 oz cheddar cheese
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the reserved roasted broccoli.
- Serve with your favorite topping: hot sauce, sour cream, bacon, or pepitas and thick slices of bread.