I love a good tortilla soup, which I am only realizing now I have not yet posted. Look for that in the coming months! This is a slightly different take on its tomato-based, vegetarian version. In this soup, chicken thighs and legs are simmered in a Mexican-spiced coconut broth along with onion, bell peppers, two types of beans, and corn. The spices give an extra warmth to the dish, perfect for those chilly fall nights!
Mexican Coconut Chicken Soup
- 2 chicken legs
- 2 chicken thighs
- 4 cups chicken or bone broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 cloves garlic divided
- 1 onion, medium, diced
- 2 bell pepper, red/orange, diced
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can sweet corn (optional)
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 lime, wedges for serving
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
- sliced jalapeño, for serving
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Nestle the chicken pieces into a medium pot and cover with the chicken broth and water. (I recommend using Beyond Bullion.)2 chicken legs, 2 chicken thighs, 4 cups chicken or bone broth, 2 cups water
- Toss in several cloves of smashed garlic and most of the cilantro stems and leaves and bring to a boil.6 cloves garlic, 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
- Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until the chicken is just cooked through, adding more hot water if necessary to keep the chicken submerged, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and set aside to cool.
- Strain the broth into a bowl, discarding the garlic and stems.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, discard the skin then pull the meat from the bones, and dice or shred.
- Wipe out the pot and return to medium high heat. Add 1 tbsp oil and the onions and peppers. Sauté until softened, about 5 minutes, then add several cloves minced garlic and spices.1 onion, medium, diced, 2 bell pepper, red/orange, diced, 2 tbsp cumin, 2 tbsp oregano, 1 tbsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- Continue to cook for another minute, then add the reserved broth, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring just to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken, coconut milk, beans, and corn, and simmer for another 5 minutes.1 can coconut milk, 1 can black beans, 1 can pinto beans, 1 can sweet corn (optional)
- Season to taste with salt and, if desired, red pepper flakes, then stir in the lime juice and 1/2 cup cilantro.1 lime, juiced, red pepper flakes, to taste
- Serve immediately, garnished with extra chopped cilantro and lime wedges.1 lime, wedges for serving
- Top with tortilla chips and sliced jalapeño.sliced jalapeño, for serving, tortilla chips, for serving