Tuscan white bean, kale, and chicken sausage soup
- 1/3 lb cannellini beans
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 lb carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/4 cup white wine, optional
- 1 15 oz can diced tomato
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- grated parmesan or pecorino cheese, optional
- crusty bread, optional
- If starting with dried beans, put the cannellini beans in a bowl, cover with water, and let soak overnight. When ready to cook, drain, place in a sauce pan. Cover with water and add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook about 45 minutes until the beans are tender. Drain, reserving 2 cups of cooking liquid, and set the beans and liquid aside.
- While the beans are cooking, start the soup. In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and sauté until brown and cooked through, breaking up in to small pieces.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery and sauté until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and optional red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
- Deglaze the pot with the optional white wine, then add the tomatoes with all their liquid, chicken broth, and reserved bean liquid and bring to a simmer. Taste for seasoning and add slat and pepper to taste. Partially cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir the beans and kale into the soup and simmer for an additional 5 minutes to wilt the kale. Ladle into bowls and top with fresh parsley and optional grated cheese. Serve with bread for dipping.
I’m working on putting together recipes for a book all about soup. If you try this soup, please add a rating and let me know… What did you like? Dislike? What did you change? Add? Subtract? Did you make it for a crowd? For your family? How did they like it? If you have a soup you’d like me to try, please see submission instructions.